Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Arugula Salad with Lemon-Parmesan Dressing


I've recently become obsessed with arugula salad. Especially, served this way with lemon & Parmesan. The spicy greens, paired with the salty cheese & tart lemon are amazing together. The salad is great alone, but is even better as a pizza topping, or served with Italian chicken cutlets.

Begin by putting a 1/3 cup of freshly grated Parmesan cheese in the bowl of a food processor. Grate 1 teaspoon of lemon zest,

and add that in.

Along with 5 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil. Season with salt & pepper & process until smooth.

Transfer to a bowl, or storage container & chill until ready to use. The leftover dressing will last in the fridge for 3 days. In a large salad bowl, add 4 packed cups of baby arugula,

and 1 cup of halved cherry tomatoes {or chopped whole tomatoes}.

Toss with the dressing & serve.

Arugula Salad with Lemon-Parmesan Dressing

From Bon Appétit, April 2009
Serves 4

1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
4 cups (packed) baby arugula
1 cup halved cherry tomatoes

Combine the first 4 ingredients in a food processor & blend until smooth. Toss the dressing with the arugula & tomatoes & serve.
Click here for the printable recipe.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

So Beautiful !

Anonymous said...

A quick variation on this fantastic recipe: fill large bowl with arugula, drizzle a couple of tablespoons of GOOD virgin olive oil, squeeze on the juice of a fresh lemon, add a few tablespoons of grated or shredded parmesean, fair amount of freshly ground black pepper. Toss. It's been a requested hit. Everyone loves the quick and easy part that comes with fantastic flavor. :)

katie said...

Anonymous:
That's exactly what inspired me to try this dressing. The way you described is usually the way I make arugula salad.

Jenna Markowick said...

just made this last night...amazing!

Anonymous said...

I'm definitely going to try this, have been watching the cooking shows on tv and keep seeing them use arugula salad. So, I decided to come out here and see what I could find, this recipe popped up at the top of the list and I'm going to try this as my 1st arugula salad! Thanks much! Anonymous

Anna Bee said...

I have had this salad many times and I truly enjoyed the quick and easy version of adding lemon juice, olive oil, and black pepper. During the summers I add watermelon and feta to this salad..and sometimes adding some toasted pine nuts to substitute the feta...

Anonymous said...

me too! I'm obsessed with arugula lately! I love it's nutty taste. I toss it with a lemon vinaigrette and "shaved" Parmesan. Instead of tomatoes I use marinated artichokes. I had it in an Italian restaurant once-delish! It's even better if you grow your own. I have several friends that grow it in their backyards-it's like a weed that reseeds itself! enjoy!

Isabel said...

I'm addicted to this. I didn't change a thing and I absolutely love the flavor combination. Perfection!

katie said...

@isabel - so glad you like it! thanks ;)

Post a Comment